Our Flowers are in Perfect Rows QuiltProject #13280
Flowers up, down and all around! That's the very nature of this colorful quilt that blooms bright with creativity. Discover how piecing Hexagons leads to total flower power.
Products Used656689-Sizzix Bigz Pro 25" Die - Strips, 3 1/2" Wide 657885-Sizzix Bigz Die - Hexagon, 2 1/4" Sides 657898-Sizzix Bigz XL 25" Die - Strip, 3 1/2" Wide
|(20) Fat 1/8||Assorted prints||Cut (7) Hexagons from each print|
|1 1/2 yd||Background fabric||Cut (108) Hexagons|
|1 yd||Purple print||Cut (6) 3 1/2" wide Strips x WOF|
Cut (6) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF for binding
|3 yd||Backing fabric||Cut (2) 1 1/2 yd pieces|
|56" x 61"||Batting|
- Finished Size: 52" x 57"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- Fat 1/8 = approximately 9" x 22"
- WOF = width of fabric
Piecing the Center:
- Cut 15 of the background Hexagons in half as shown. These will be used on each side of the quilt. See Diagram 1.
- Cut a Hexagon from cardboard or template plastic. Trim off the 1/4" seam allowance. Center this piece on the wrong side of each of the Hexagons and mark the corners with a dot.
- Layout the entire quilt on a design board. This will make it easier to keep track of piecing.
- There will be whole background Hexagons on the top and bottom of the quilt that stick out above the flowers. There will also be the 1/2 background Hexagons on both sides that stick out beyond the flowers. All these will be trimmed off when the center is complete.
- Sew the verticals rows together first. Sew from dot to dot as you marked on the wrong side of each hexagon.
- When you sew the vertical rows together, you will be sewing dot to dot, one side of the Hexagon at a time. You will be sewing a zigzag seam as you go down the row.
- Continue until all the rows are sewn together. Press.
- On the top and bottom, trim excess background even with the flowers.
- On the sides, trim 1/4" away from the points of the flower Hexagon. See Diagram 2.
Adding the Border:
- Sew the six 3 1/2" x WOF purple Strips together lengthwise. Press.
- Cut the Strip into two 3 1/2" x 51" and two 3 1/2" x 52" pieces.
- Sew the 3 1/2" x 51" Strips to the long sides of the quilt. Press.
- Sew the 3 1/2" x 52" Strips to the remaining two sides of the quilt. Press.
- Sew the two, 1 1/2 yd pieces of the backing fabric together along the selvedge edge to make the backing.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- Sew the binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold the binding in half, lengthwise, with wrong sides together and press.
- Sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.