Twenty-Five Snapshots QuiltProject #14040
Watch creativity take shape! This pretty pattern of Hexagon shapes and accents comes to together to form a kaleidoscope of colors and style. Imagine it in your home or warming a loved one's heart!
Products Used658330-Sizzix Bigz Pro 25" Die - Strips, 2 1/2" Wide 657267-Sizzix Bigz XL 25" Die - Strip, 5" Wide 658665-Sizzix Bigz XL Die - Half-Hexagon, 5" Sides 658328-Sizzix Bigz XL 25" Die - Strips, 2 1/2" Wide 660516-Sizzix Bigz XL 25" Die - Strips, 1 1/2" Wide
|(25) 10" Squares||Assorted prints||Cut (25) pairs of Half-Hexagons|
|1/3 yd||Orange geometric print||Cut (4) 1 1/2" wide Strips x WOF|
|2/3 yd||Red geometric print||Cut (4) 5" wide Strips x WOF|
|1/2 yd||Binding fabric||Cut (5) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF|
|1 1/2 yd||Backing fabric|
|42" x 56"||Batting|
- Finished Size: 35" x 47"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- For directional prints, fold 10" Squares in half when die-cutting to achieve a mirror image.
- WOF = width of fabric
Piecing the Quilt:
- Arrange Half-Hexagons in horizontal rows, 5 across by 10 down, matching the same Half-Hexagon fabric in the row below to complete a full Hexagon.
- Sew each of the 10 rows together by placing Half-Hexagon shapes right sides together and offsetting each by 1/4". Press the seams to one side.
- Sew the rows together. Make sure the rows are in the correct order and are not turned upside-down. It is easiest to do this by laying out all the rows on a design wall or the floor, then carefully picking up the rows and sewing them together. Press.
- Square up the outside edges of quilt top using a straight-edge ruler.
- Measure the sides of the quilt top. Use this measurement to cut the side borders. Sew side borders onto quilt top.
- Measure the top and bottom of quilt top. Use this measurement to cut top and bottom borders. Sew top and bottom borders onto quilt top.
- Use steps 4 and 5 to add outer border.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- Sew binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold wrong sides together, lengthwise, and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.
Fabric compliments of Cosmo Cricket for Moda Fabrics.