Poppies in Grandmother's Flower Garden QuiltProject #14042
Flowers up, down and all around! That's the very nature of this colorful quilt that blooms bright with creativity. Discover how piecing Hexagons leads to total flower power.
Products Used658330-Sizzix Bigz Pro 25" Die - Strips, 2 1/2" Wide 658880-Sizzix Bigz Die - 5" Half Hex 658328-Sizzix Bigz XL 25" Die - Strips, 2 1/2" Wide
|(3) Fat 1/4||Turquoise and peach floral print||Cut (24) Half-Hexagons|
|(3) Fat 1/4||Orange and green polka-dot print||Cut (22) Half-Hexagons|
|5/8 yd||Green print||Cut (12) Half-Hexagons|
|6" x 6"||Peach floral print||Cut (2) Half-Hexagons|
|2/3 yd||Backing fabric||Cut (1) 22" Square|
|1/4 yd||Binding fabric||Cut (3) 2 1/2" wide Strips|
|22" x 22"||Batting|
- Finished Size: 20" x 20"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- Fat 1/4 = approximately 18" x 21"
Piecing the Quilt:
- Take ten of the orange and green polka-dot print Half-Hexagons and cut them in half vertically.
- Using the quilt photo as a guide, lay out the entire quilt on a design wall or the floor. This will make it easier to keep track of piecing. Each row will start and end with a Half-Hexagon cut in half vertically.
- Sew each of the ten rows together by placing Half-Hexagon shapes right sides together and offsetting each by 1/4". Press the seams to one side.
- Sew the rows together. Make sure the rows are in the correct order and are not turned upside-down. It is easiest to do this by laying out all the rows on a design wall or the floor, then carefully picking up the rows and sewing them together. Press.
- Square up the outside edges of quilt top using a straight-edge ruler.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- Sew binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold wrong sides together, lengthwise, and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.