Lava Lamp QuiltProject #14043
With the look of a pretty lava lamp, this Tumbler Quilt brings out a charming contrast of ombre colors. It also pairs perfectly with your 5" fabric pre-cuts for minimal waste.
Products Used658882-Sizzix Bigz L Die - Tumbler 658328-Sizzix Bigz XL 25" Die - Strips, 2 1/2" Wide 658330-Sizzix Bigz Pro 25" Die - Strips, 2 1/2" Wide
|1/3 yd||Blue ombre||Cut (24) Tumblers|
|1/3 yd||Peach ombre||Cut (24) Tumblers|
|1/4 yd||Binding fabric||Cut (3) 2 1/2" wide Strips|
|32" x 26"||Backing fabric|
|32" x 26"||Batting|
- Finished Size: 30" x 24"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- When cutting Tumblers, use the example in Diagram 1 to get the most Tumblers with the least waste.
Piecing the Quilt:
- Take three of the lightest blue ombre and three of the lightest peach ombre Tumblers and cut them in half. See Diagram 2.
- Using the quilt photo as a guide, arrange the Tumblers in rows, 8 across by 6 down. Each row will start and end with a half Tumbler.
- Sew 8 Tumblers in a row, alternating colors. Press the seams open. This will reduce the bulk at the seam lines when sewing the rows together.Repeat to make 5 more rows.
- Sew the 6 rows together to form the quilt top. Make sure the rows are in the correct order and are not turned upside-down. It is easiest to do this by laying out all the rows on a design wall or the floor, then carefully picking up the rows and sewing them together. Press.
- Square off the quilt by cutting away from the outside edges.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- Sew binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold wrong sides together, lengthwise, and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.
Fabric compliments of Marcus Fabrics.