Clamshell PillowProject #14860
An antique design comes to life with a most modern appeal! For a contrast of colors and an economical use of fabric, this home décor project delivers the dynamic details.
Products Used658660-Sizzix Bigz Die - Clamshell, 4 1/2" Unfinished
|1 3/4 yd||White print||Cut (2) 18" x 27 1/2" for pillow back (cut this first) |
Cut (46) Clamshells
|3/4 yd||Pink print||Cut (19) Clamshells|
Cut (2) 2" x 24 1/2" Strips
Cut (2) 2" x 27 1/2" Strips
|1/2 yd||Gray print||Cut (19) Clamshells|
|30" x 30"||Muslin||Backing for pillow front|
|30" x 30"||Batting|
|1||27" Square pillow form|
- Finished Size: 27" x 27"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- When cutting Clamshells from yardage, alternate the direction of the die to get the most Clamshells with the least amount of waste.
Piecing the Project:
- On the wrong side, mark each of the Clamshells with a dot at the center of each piece. Also mark the seam intersections at each corner. This will make the piecing easier.
- Using a design wall and the photo of the pillow, lay out the pillow center.
- Start with the two Clamshells in the upper left-hand corner and piece one side as shown in Diagram 1.
- Piece from the center dot on A to the seam intersection. DO NOT sew to the edges of the pieces.
- Keep adding alternate up and down Clamshells until row is complete. See Diagram 2.
- After completing step 5 add the next row of Clamshells.
- Continue adding alternate rows of Clamshells until you have sewn all the rows of Clamshells on the design wall.
- Press the entire pillow top.
- Square off the pillow center by cutting 1/4" away from Clamshells around the outside edge. The piece will measure 24 1/2" x 24 1/2".
- Sew the 2" x 24 1/2" pink Strips to opposite sides. Press.
- Sew the 2" x 27 1/2" pink Strips to the remaining sides. Press.
- Layer the 30" x 30" muslin backing, batting and pillow top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired. Trim away excess batting and backing.
- Take the two 27 1/2" x 18" pieces of fabric for the pillow back and put a double 1/4" hem on one of the 27 1/2" sides.
- Place the pillow top on the table, right-side-up. Lay one of the two backs, right-side-down, lining up the raw edges with the raw edges of the pillow top.
- Lay the second back, right-side-down, on the side of the top that is not covered. The backs will overlap, which will allow you to insert the pillow form. Pin the backs and top together.
- Stitch a 1/4" seam around the outside edge of the pillow. Zigzag the raw edges for added strength.
- Turn the pillow right-side-out.
- Insert the pillow form.