Crimson Rose Wall HangingProject #14864
Creativity is in full bloom! With the fusible adhesive appliqué technique, your style will shine through on this lovely floral-themed quilt.
Products Used658328-Sizzix Bigz XL 25" Die - Strips, 2 1/2" Wide 657648-Sizzix Bigz Die - Flower, Celtic 658330-Sizzix Bigz Pro 25" Die - Strips, 2 1/2" Wide 658321-Sizzix Bigz L Die - Squares, 2" Finished (2 1/2" Unfinished)
|12" x 12"||Purple wool||Cut (4) Celtic Flower stems & leaves*|
|3" x 12"||Red wool||Cut (4) Celtic Flower blossoms*|
|1/2 yd||Plaid flannel||Cut (1) 17" Square for the background|
Cut (4) 2 1/2" Squares for cornerstones
|1/4 yd||Dark red flannel||Cut (2) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF|
Sub-cut into (4) 2 1/2" x 17" Strips
|2/3 yd||Backing fabric|
|25" x 25"||Batting|
|Assorted embroidery floss|
|1 package||Lightweight fusible adhesive|
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- WOF = width of fabric
- * = Adhere fusible adhesive to back of fabric before die-cutting the shapes.
Piecing the Quilt:
- Fold background fabric in half and press. Fold in half again and press. Unfold fabric. The pressed folds will intersect at the center of the square to help you arrange the Celtic Flower motif.
- Arrange the Celtic Flowers on the background. When satisfied with the arrangement, heat fuse in place with an iron. Stitch around shapes as desired.
- Sew the 2 1/2" x 17" border strips to each the side of the quilt. Press.
- Sew the cornerstones to each end of the 2 1/2" x 17" remaining border strips. Sew the borders to the top and bottom of the quilt. Press.
- Layer the backing and quilt top right sides together, with the batting at the bottom.
- Pin and sew with 1/2" seam allowance, leaving an opening approximately 6" long.
- Clip excess fabric in the corners on the diagonal. Turn right-side-out.
- Tie or quilt as desired.
- Whipstitch hole closed.