Topsy-Turvy Triangles QuiltProject #14892
Follow this amazing pattern and watch great things take shape! It's sure to grab anyone's attention and easily works within the principles of good design.
Products Used658328-Sizzix Bigz XL 25" Die - Strips, 2 1/2" Wide 658330-Sizzix Bigz Pro 25" Die - Strips, 2 1/2" Wide 661650-Sizzix Bigz Plus Q Die - Triangles, 3 1/2" H x 6 1/2" W
|1 yd||Red newspaper print||Cut (88) Triangles|
|1/2 yd||Butterfly print||Cut (46) Triangles|
|1 yd||Subway letters print||Cut (70) Triangles|
|1/3 yd||Blue and tan striped print||Cut (16) Triangles|
|1/3 yd||Blue typeset print||Cut (12) Triangles|
|1/3 yd||Vintage luggage stickers print||Cut (12) Triangles|
|1/3 yd||Rulers print||Cut (12) Triangles|
|1/3 yd||Numbers print||Cut (12) Triangles|
|1/2 yd||Binding fabric||Cut (5) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF|
|3 yd||Backing fabric|
|54" x 54"||Batting|
- Finished Size: 48 1/2" x 48 1/2"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- WOF = width of fabric
- This quilt is made in three sections. Use a design wall or the floor to lay out Triangle pieces in each section before sewing. Be mindful of directional prints.
Piecing the Quilt:
- Section 1, see Diagram 1. For the first row, sew seven newspaper Triangles to six blue typeset print Triangles, placing the on the top. For the second row, sew seven newspaper Triangles to six numbers print Triangles, with the on the top. Sew rows together. Trim away half of the newspaper Triangles at the end of each row to make half-square Triangles. Repeat to form the second section. This second section is placed below the middle section in Diagram 2. See finished quilt for reference.
- Section 2, see Diagram 2. For the first row, sew seven newspaper Triangles to six different prints that, in the second row, will create a full square-on-point. The placement of the Triangles creates the squares on point effect. Begin the third row with a newspaper Triangle alternate with different print Triangles to form complete squares and end with a newspaper Triangle. Row four finishes the squares and has a row of the newspaper print as the bottom Triangles. Sew rows together. Trim away half of the newspaper Triangles at the end of each row to make half-square Triangles. Repeat all of step 2 to form a second middle section.
- Sew middle sections together to form the quilt center. Sew the first sections above and below the quilt center.
- Section 3, see Diagram 3. To make the borders, arrange one butterfly print, two subway prints and one newspaper print to form a quarter-square Triangle.
- Sew six quarter-square Triangles together to make each side border. Sew to the quilt.
- Sew eight quarter-square Triangles together for make the top and bottom borders. Sew to the quilt.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- Sew binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold wrong sides together, lengthwise, and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.