Along the Gravel Road QuiltProject #14908
Dream it. Design it. Display it. Sizzix makes it possible with stylish shapes you can create with the Big Shot or fabi machines for appliqué or quilting.
Products Used658328-Sizzix Bigz XL 25" Die - Strips, 2 1/2" Wide 658330-Sizzix Bigz Pro 25" Die - Strips, 2 1/2" Wide 658665-Sizzix Bigz XL Die - Half-Hexagon, 5" Sides
|(29) Fat 1/4||Assorted prints||Cut (108) pairs of Half-Hexagons|
|1 yd||Gray print||Cut (12) pairs of Half-Hexagons|
|3/4 yd||Binding fabric||Cut (9) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF|
|5 1/2 yd||Backing fabric||Cut (2) 2 3/4 yd pieces|
|68" x 90"||Batting|
- Finished Size: 64" x 87"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- Fat 1/4 = approximately 18" x 21"
- WOF = width of fabric
Piecing the Quilt:
- Arrange Half-Hexagons in horizontal rows, 10 across by 24 down, matching the same Half-Hexagon fabric in the row below to complete a full Hexagon.
- Sew each of the 24 rows together by placing Half-Hexagon shapes right sides together and offsetting each by 1/4". Press the seams to one side.
- Sew the rows together. Make sure the rows are in the correct order and are not turned upside-down. It is easiest to do this by laying out all the rows on a design wall or the floor, then carefully picking up the rows and sewing them together. Press.
- Square up the outside edges of quilt top using a straight-edge ruler.
- Sew the two 2 3/4 yd pieces of the backing fabric together along the selvedge edge to make the backing.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- Sew the binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold the binding in half, lengthwise, with wrong sides together and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.