American Flag Wall HangingProject #15577
Forever patriotic! Show your true colors with this all-American masterpiece. In just a few steps, you can celebrate freedom and declare your own creative independence.
Products Used657633-Sizzix Bigz XL 25" Die - Strips, 2" Wide 660528-Sizzix Bigz Die - Wave, 3 7/8" x 4 1/2" Finished
|1/2 yd total||Red prints||Cut (30) Waves|
|1/2 yd total||White prints||Cut (24) Waves|
|1/4 yd total||Blue prints||Cut (9) Waves|
|1/2 yd||Binding fabric||Cut 2" wide Strips on the bias|
[See finishing instructions before cutting fabric]
|1 yd||Backing fabric|
|30" x 48"||Batting|
- Finished Size: 23" x 39"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- WOF = width of fabric
Assembling the Project:
- Lay out the Waves, nine across by seven down, alternating the concave edge up and down to create the flag pattern as seen in Diagram 1.
- Sew the straight sides together, forming the row. Alignment tip: The ends of each piece will overlap because of the Wave angle. Make sure they meet at the 1/4" seam line. See Diagram 2.
- Repeat for all rows. Arrange the rows in desired order.
- Sew top two rows together along curved edge. Alignment tip: Mark the centers of each Wave segment by folding in half and finger pressing at top and bottom edge. Pin rows together, matching seams and center points.
- Repeat, attaching the remaining rows.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- From the binding fabric, cut two 18" Squares. Carefully layer them on top of each other.
- Cut them in half diagonally. This will be the bias edge from which you measure your binding strips. Cut your Strips 2" wide. You want a narrower binding because it is easier to sew around all the curves.
- Sew binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold wrong sides together lengthwise and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.