Dresden Flowerpot Wall HangingProject #17449
Piece together the prettiest possibilities! This beautiful project brings together all the elements of style and classic design into one colorful creation.
Products Used657969-Sizzix Bigz L Die - Circles, 2", 3" & 4" 658328-Sizzix Bigz XL 25" Die - Strips, 2 1/2" Wide 658330-Sizzix Bigz Pro 25" Die - Strips, 2 1/2" Wide 658882-Sizzix Bigz L Die - Tumbler 658884-Sizzix Bigz XL Die - 10" Dresden Plate 659075-Sizzix Bigz Die - Tumbler, Mini
|(8) 1/4 yd||Gray prints||Cut (23) Mini Tumblers from each print|
|(9) Fat 1/4||Assorted prints||Cut (20) Dresden Plates at 5" for flower petals|
Cut (2) Dresden Plates at 5" for leaves
|Fat 1/4||Green print||Cut (1) 2 1/2" x 18" for flower stem|
|Fat 1/4||Brown print||Cut (1) Tumbler|
|Fat 1/4||Yellow solid||Cut (1) 4" Circle|
|12" x 12"||Nonwoven fusible interfacing||Cut (1) 4" Circle|
Cut (2) for leaves
Cut (1) Tumbler
|3/4 yd||Backing fabric|
|25" x 35"||Batting|
|1/4 yd||Binding fabric||Cut (3) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF|
- Finished Size: 19" x 27"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- Fat 1/4 = approximately 18" x 22"
- WOF = width of fabric
Piecing the Quilt Top:
- Sew the gray Mini Tumblers together, 13 across by 14 down to form the background.
- Fold the wider end of the Dresden Plate right sides together. Sew the tops of the Dresden Plates together to create the petal point. See Diagram 1. Turn right side out and iron down. See Diagram 2. This creates a finished rolled over petal point. Repeat 20 times.
- Sew all 21 petals together into flower shape. Press the seams open.
- Place the 4" yellow and nonwoven fusible interfacing Circles right sides together and sew along the edge. Notch the outside within the seam allowances. Clip a 2" hole in the center of the nonwoven fusible interfacing Circle. Turn right side out. Press.
- Place the 5" Dresden Plate leaf and nonwoven fusible interfacing leaf right sides together and sew along the edge. Notch the outside within the seam allowances. Clip a 1 1/2" hole in the center of the nonwoven fusible interfacing leaf. Turn right side out. Press.
- Repeat step 5 for the second leaf and the Tumbler flowerpot.
- Fold the flower stem right sides together, along its length and sew down the seam. Turn right side out and press with the seam centered on the back side of the stem.
- Pin flower, stem, leaf and flowerpot pieces as desired into the background and stitch down using a zigzag or satin stitch.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- Sew binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold wrong sides together lengthwise and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.