Winter Wonderland Wall HangingProject #17478
Send tidings of comfort and joy! With the Sizzix quilting and appliqué collection, you can create this charming winter scene on a table runner, pillow, penny rug mat and more.
Products Used660929-Sizzix Bigz Die - Penny Rug Circles & Tongues 660913-Sizzix Bigz Plus Die - Penny Rug Mat 660914-Sizzix Bigz Plus Die - Stocking 661640-Sizzix Bigz Die - Winter Wonderland
|(2) 13" x 16"||Dark blue wool||Cut (1) Penny Rug Mat|
Cut (1) partial Penny Rug Mat, 9" from scallop edge
Cut (2) hanger strips* (from Stocking die)
|6" x 9"||Light blue wool||Cut (10) large circles|
|6" x 12"||Gold wool||Cut (3) large stars|
Cut (10) medium stars
Cut (4) small stars
|3" x 6 1/2"||Green wool||Cut (3) trees|
|3 1/2" x 6"||Cream wool||Cut (1) snowman|
|1 1/2" x 2 1/2"||Brown wool||Cut (3) tree trunks|
|1 1/2" x 1 1/2"||Lavender wool||Cut (1) tree trunk (for snowman scarf)|
|1 1/2" x 1 1/2"||Red wool||Cut (1) heart|
|1||Stick or wooden dowel|
- Finished Size: 8" x 9"
- Unless indicated otherwise, all stitching is with one strand of embroidery floss.
- *= Fold fabric in half before the end cut line to make 12"
Assembling the Project:
- Using the 9" scalloped piece, align the front scallop piece so the edges are even. Turn the top scallop to the front so that the fold is even with the top straight edge. Press the fold. Set aside the back piece.
- Attach a light blue circle to all of the scallops. Whipstitch with blue floss.
- Add a medium yellow star to the center of each circle. Whipstitch with gold floss.
- Lay out the trees and snowman above the bottom scallop. Tuck the trunks under the trees. Whipstitch in place using green floss for the trees, brown floss for the trunks and cream floss for the snowman.
- Use cream star-stitching to add random snowflakes to the trees.
- Place the lavender scarf across the snowman's neck. Attach with long stitches to look like stripes. Fringe the left side up to the snowman's neck.
- Add a red heart to the snowman's chest with a large red X. Use two strands of black floss to make French knot eyes and buttons.
- Randomly scatter the remaining stars above the trees and snowman. Whipstitch with gold floss.
- Blanket stitch along the edge of the top scallop with two strands of cream floss, continuing up to the top fold.
- Pin the top and back runners together.
- With two strands of blue floss, stitch a running stitch right above the top scallops, going through all layers, to make a casing.
- Blanket stitch with two strands of cream floss around all of the edges, leaving openings on either side for the casing.
- Push a stick or wooden dowel through the casing. Tie a dark blue wool strip to each end, and then tie the strips together at the top to form a hanger.