Menorah Wall HangingProject #17523
Celebrate Hanukkah with this traditional wall hanging made with Sizzix quilting dies. It’s sure to brighten any room with warm wishes for the holiday season.
Products Used658328-Sizzix Bigz XL 25" Die - Strips, 2 1/2" Wide 658330-Sizzix Bigz Pro 25" Die - Strips, 2 1/2" Wide 661373-Sizzix eclips Accessory - 12" x 24" Fabric Cutting Mat
|1||Blue||Cut (1) 26" x 39" for the background|
Cut (4) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF
|4" x 6"||Yellow*|
|5" x 6"||Gold*|
|Fat 1/4||White*||Cut (1) 12" wide Strip x WOF|
|30" x 39"||Batting|
|1 yd||Backing fabric|
|1 package||Lightweight fusible adhesive|
- Finished Size: 26" x 39"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- Fat 1/4 = approximately 18" x 22"
- WOF = width of fabric
- * = Adhere fusible adhesive to back of fabric before cutting the shapes.
Cutting the Shapes:
- In eCAL2, go to the eshape store, and search for Hanukkah. Purchase the shape shown above or a similar shape.
- While “Keeping Proportions” checked, enlarge the images to 11.455" x 22.624".
- Ungroup the images.
- To separate the flame from the candle, take the Diamond 2 from the Library, place under the flame and “Select.” Then using the Path Menu choose “Back Minus Front.”
- Take another solid flame and candle, and use the Square from the Library and place it on top of the flame and using the Path Menu “Back Minus Front.”
- Duplicate the flames and the candles until you have nine of each. Keep one set of five flames and another set of six flames to “Mirror Image” later when cutting.
- Turn the “Layer” off the shapes you will not be cutting. Use “Preview” to ensure what will be cut.
- Place the yellow fabric, fabric side down, onto the Fabric Cutting Mat. Press firmly. Make sure to “Mirror Image” six of the flames.
- Load the Fabric Cutting Mat, and cut when ready. If using scrap pieces, make sure to use “Laser Cut Preview” to ensure you will cut the shape correctly.
- Cut. Pull shapes and leftover fabric off the Fabric Cutting Mat.
- Repeat steps 7–10 to cut the candle wicks.
- Repeat steps 7–10 to cut one menorah using the 12" x 24" Fabric Cutting Mat. Make sure to use “Laser Cut Preview” to ensure you will cut the shape correctly.
Assembling the Project:
- Place the menorah, candle wicks and flames on the 26" x 39" background.
- Heat fuse in place with an iron.
- Sew around the shapes with coordinating thread as desired.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine as desired.
- Sew the binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold the binding in half lengthwise, with wrong sides together, and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt, and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.