Mermaid SoftieProject #17875
Seas the day, and make a major splash with a Mermaid that can be stuffed as a softie or added as an appliqué onto your next project.
Products Used662022-Sizzix Bigz L Die - Mermaid
|4" x 8"||Skin color||Cut (2) heads**|
|5" x 7"||Green print||Cut (2) bodies**|
|4" x 6"||Skin color||Cut (4) arms**|
|5" x 5"||Orange triangles||Cut (4) hair buns**|
|3" x 6"||Green print||Cut (4) fins**|
|4" x 4"||Orange triangles||Cut (1) head*|
|2 1/2" x 2 1/2"||Orange triangles||Cut (2) bangs*|
|2" x 3 1/2"||Periwinkle felt||Cut (2) starfish|
|2" x 2"||Orange felt||Cut (1) starfish|
|1 package||Polyester fiberfill|
|2||2 1/4" Black buttons for eyes|
|Assorted seed beads for necklace|
- Finished Size: 6" x 7" (including arms and legs)
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless otherwise noted.
- * = Adhere fusible adhesive to back of fabric before die-cutting the shapes.
- ** = Place fabric right sides facing to cut.
Assembling the Project:
- With right sides together, sew two sets of arms and two sets of hair buns. Clip the curves, and turn right sides out. Fill with polyester fiberfill.
- With right sides out, topstitch two sets of fins together.
- Using scissors, cut a curve to make the bottom of the orange print heads into hair. Iron the orange hair on to the head of skin-colored fabric. Topstitch along the bottom hairline.
- Iron the two bangs on the remaining head piece. Topstitch.
- Hand stitch the orange starfish to the bottom of the front of the body. Be sure to keep it at least a 1/4" from the edges. Hand stitch the eyes, eyelashes, and mouth on the face.
- Arrange the hair buns at the sides of the head. Pin the raw edges together with the hair buns facing inward.
- Arrange and pin the fins facing inward on each side at the bottom of the body.
- Arrange and pin the arms facing inward on the front of the body. Place the body back on top with right sides facing, and pin to the front of the body. Sew around the outer edge, leaving one side open for turning.
- Clip the curves, turn right sides out and fill with polyester fiberfill. Hand stitch the opening closed.
- Hand stitch beads around the neck to make the necklace. Hand stitch the two periwinkle starfish to the hair.