Cherry Valley Picnic QuiltProject #18103
Spread a blanket of flowers on a bed or sofa! Making beautiful additions to your home décor has never been simpler with Sizzix Bigz dies.
Products Used657609-Sizzix Bigz Die - Square, 4" Finished (4 1/2" Unfinished) 658321-Sizzix Bigz L Die - Squares, 2" Finished (2 1/2" Unfinished) 658328-Sizzix Bigz XL 25" Die - Strips, 2 1/2" Wide 658330-Sizzix Bigz Pro 25" Die - Strips, 2 1/2" Wide 658685-Sizzix Bigz Pro 25" Die - Strip, 6 1/2" Wide 657613-Sizzix Bigz Die - Half-Square Triangles, 4 1/2" Assembled Square
|1 1/2 yd||Solid white||Cut (48) 4 1/2" Squares|
Cut (32) 4 1/2" Half-Square Triangles
|1/2 yd||Red check||Cut (32) 4 1/2" Half-Square Triangles|
Cut (4) 2 1/2" Squares
|2 yd||Cherry print||Cut (20) 4 1/2" Squares|
Cut (5) 6 1/2" wide Strips x WOF
Cut (5) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF for binding
|1/2 yd||Solid red||Cut (4) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF|
|3 yd||Backing fabric|
|62" x 65"||Batting|
- Finished Size: 56" x 56"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- WOF = width of fabric
Assembling the Project:
- Sew a pair of red check and solid white Half-Square Triangles right sides together along the diagonal seam to form a square block.
- Repeat with the remaining sets of Half-Square Triangles. Press toward the red check.
- Using the photo as a guide, lay out the quilt on a design wall or the floor. This will make it easier to keep track of piecing.
- Sew the blocks together into rows. Press the seams in alternate directions to reduce the bulk at the points.
- Sew the rows together until you have completed the quilt top. Again, press the seams in alternate directions.
- Measure from the top to the bottom of the quilt top. Use this measurement to cut the 2 1/2" wide cherry print Strips. Sew the side borders in place. Press.
- Measure from the left side to the right side of the quilt top. Sew one 2 1/2" red check Square to each end, to be included in the measurement.
- Measure from the top to the bottom of the quilt top. Use this measurement to cut 6 1/2" wide side borders. Piece the two strips together to make the strip long enough. Keep the direction of the fabric in mind when piecing and attaching the borders. Sew the side borders in place. Press.
- Measure from the left side to the right side of the quilt top. Use this measurement to cut the 6 1/2" wide top and bottom borders. Piece two strips together to make the strip long enough. Sew the top and bottom borders onto the quilt. Press.
- Layer the backing, batting and runner top. Quilt by hand or machine as desired.
- Sew binding Strips together to form one long Strip. Fold wrong sides together lengthwise, and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the runner. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the runner, and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.