Whale of a Tale QuiltProject #18316
Whale-come to creativity! Make rows of Tessellating Pinwheels, then alternate with background strips with whimsical whale appliqués for a super splashy showcase.
Products Used658328-Sizzix Bigz XL 25" Die - Strips, 2 1/2" Wide 658661-Sizzix Bigz Die - Tessellating Pinwheel, 4 1/2" Assembled 657613-Sizzix Bigz Die - Half-Square Triangles, 4 1/2" Assembled Square 662534-Sizzix Bigz Die - Whale #4
|(10) 10" x 10"||Blue solids||Cut (60) Tessellating Pinwheels|
Cut (40) 4 1/2" Half-Square Triangles
|(4) 10" x 10"||Gray solids||Cut (10) Whales*|
|1 1/4 yd||White||Cut (40) 4 1/2" Half-Square Triangles|
Cut (60) Tessellating Pinwheels
Cut (4) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF
|1/2 yd||Dark blue solid||Cut (5) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF for binding|
|1 1/2 yd||Backing fabric|
|45" x 52"||Batting|
|1 package||Lightweight fusible adhesive|
- Finished Size: 40" x 46"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- WOF = width of fabric
- * = Adhere fusible adhesive to back of fabric before die-cutting the shapes.
Piecing the Quilt Top:
- Using the quilt photo as a guide, lay out the entire quilt on a design wall or the floor. This will make it easier to keep track of piecing.
- Sew together one white and one blue Tessellating Pinwheel to form a 4 1/2" square block. Press. Repeat until all Tessellating Pinwheels are sewn together. Return each finished block back into the layout. Be mindful that the Pinwheel has a specific rotation and there are two ways the Tessellating Pinwheels need to be sewn together.
- Sew a set of one white and one blue 4 1/2" Half-Square Triangles along the diagonal seam to form a 4 1/2" square block. Press. Repeat until all 4 1/2" Half-Square Triangles are sewn together. Return each finished block back into the layout.
- Sew the blocks together into rows. Press the seams in alternate directions to keep the bulk down at the points.
- Sew a white 2 1/2" Strip in between each set of rows of Tessellating Pinwheels and Half-Square Triangles.
- Sew the horizontal rows together.
- Place the Whales in a pleasing manner on the quilt top, and heat fuse in place with an iron.
- Stitch down the Whales, and add embellishments of your choice.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine as desired.
- Sew binding Strips together to form one long Strip. Fold wrong sides together lengthwise, and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt, and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.